From post-game fireworks shows to meet and greet and autograph events with the Detroit Tigers, the West Michigan Whitecaps have lined up a year filled with promotions to celebrate their 20 seasons of success.
The West Michigan Whitecaps are co-owned by local businessmen Lew Chamberlin of Grand Rapids and Dennis Baxter of Muskegon. After 10 years of planning, the opening season was in 1994. The Whitecaps are a minor league baseball team that plays in the Eastern Division of the Midwest League. They are a Class A affiliate of the Detroit Tigers. The Whitecaps play 70 home games and 70 road games each season. This year they are playing under a new manager, Larry Parrish, who is a former manager of the Detroit Tigers and Toledo Mud Hens.
The Whitecaps have made it to the playoffs 13 times in 19 seasons. They’ve won Division Titles and League Championships in 1996, 1998, 2004, 2006, and 2007.
The 2013 schedule has just been released. Opening day is April 4 with a double header game on April 5 which coincides with the Detroit Tigers opening day. Whitecaps fans are invited to stay after the game to watch the Tigers play on the big screen.
The 2013 anniversary season includes weekly promotions.
- Sundays are Helen DeVos Children’s Hospital Family Day. The first 1,000 kids eat free! There will be special activities for kids as well as opportunities for autographs.
- Mondays are JQ99 All Faiths Night. All Whitecap fans will receive half off admission by showing a worship newsletter.
- Tuesdays are Silver Slugger Night. All Whitecap fans over 50 years young will receive half-off admission
- Thursdays are Altogas Thrifty Thursdays. Come and enjoy various $2 food and drink specials. Also, every Thursday is College Night. All Whitecap fans that show a college or military ID will get a reserved seat for only $5.
- Fridays are Tiger Fridays. Starting June 14, former Detroit Tigers come to Fifth Third Ballpark to meet fans and sign autographs. Every Tiger Friday includes a free giveaway to the first 1,000 fans in attendance.
The team’s 20th anniversary will be celebrated throughout the season with 20 post-game fireworks shows. Fireworks will be on Wednesdays starting on June 5th and Saturdays starting May 18th.
Happy 20th Anniversary to the West Michigan Whitecaps!